Thursday, February 8, 2007

Blob Game - Liquid2



Liquid2
is something that I hacked together in Processing as I was testing a spatial partitioning algorithm for another game I'm working on. I got the algorithm working (without it, you couldn't have nearly as many particles on screen), and the thing looked pretty cool so I fashioned a simple little (demo of a) game out of it. Check it out, it might amuse you. Source code is available on that page, too - follow the links under the game.

You have to accept a security dialogue before you can play - this just lets your browser use OpenGL for faster graphics display. It's safe, signed by Sun Microsystems (the dudes that made Java), so I hope that doesn't discourage you from giving it a play.

Controls are simple - just hold the mouse button to repel particles. Particles "eat" each other in a way, and the goal is to not let all your particles get eaten by another color. Pay attention at the beginning of each round, it will tell you which color you are supposed to protect. As time goes on, things get crazier, so be careful. Be aware, the "goopiness" of the blobs changes randomly round to round, so some will be easier than others.

There are certainly some problems with this game, but hey, let's pull a Google and call it beta. Worst comes to worst, think of it as a lava lamp on your screen! Suggestions are welcome, although I can't promise I'll have time to implement them for a little while!

No comments: