Thursday, December 21, 2006

Class My Ass

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and all that. Wanted to throw in a shameless plug for a new game site of mine, ClassMyAss.net (yes, as so often happens, .com was taken by one of those companies that just buys up all combinations of common words - and I'm sure not going to pay $500 dollars to get it, thereby encouraging their squatting!). It's an experiment in the use of AJAX, which means that all the games and listings load from a single page. Basically, for you, that means no waiting for extra graphics to load and whatnot, you can simply browse around through the games and play them without much hassle.

A few games I'd recommend:

  • Puppy Invaders - This one's a Java game (that's why the delay happens, your JVM is starting up) that I've been playing a lot lately. It's real simple, but I find it strangely compelling.
  • A.L.I.A.S. 2 - Another one of those WASD+mouse click shooters. I dunno, these get boring to me after a while, but I like this one. It's got a nice simple angular aesthetic, and a pretty good feel (I particularly like how the player gets blown back a bit every time you shoot - it's these little touches that make a game).
  • Fancy Pants Adventure - I'm not going to say much about this one, but trust me, you'll like it. It's one of the most well produced Flash games I've seen to date. The only negative is that the game is unfinished, but I'm still glad that they released this level.
  • Tanks - A well done version of a classic game. The one I remember playing was called "Howitzer," and was an MS-DOS game that, alas, was tied to the speed of the computer it ran on (back in those days, a 286 was a 286 was a 286, so if you wrote a game for a 286, you knew it would run at the same speed no matter where it was, more or less - now, you have to make sure to use timers to synchronize to real time). Shoot stuff back and forth at each other, buy better weapons, and don't get pwned - all the usual goodies.

No comments: